Sunday, March 22, 2020

I Used To Wear Many Hats Once


Funny, I wore many hats once.

I'd be what they'd call, wearing "many hats", for I had dozens of various jobs in writing, design, fashion, marketing, communications, journalism, and entrepreneurship.

I also taught beginner's piano at one point 17 years ago.

My resume (which I try not to write anymore), is filled with odds and ends of sometimes totally unrelated stuff compared to what I first took up in college -- Architecture.

But that's how GOD created me, a compendium of sorts.

I felt weird enough as it was, but I also felt surely, God had a plan for His quirky child.

I reasoned, He didn't give me all this stuff to do, and develop, for no reason at all.

I truly felt like a square peg, in a round hole, when I see how all seem to have their act together, pursuing only one profession, and all that.

Some days, I'd cry inside my heart, and ask God, what am I really meant to do?

Most days, He was quiet.

Until that fateful day on 6 September 2019, a day before my birthday, when I told myself, I've got to get my act together, and come up with something solid.

Further, I began acknowledging my sins, and repenting of it.

That was probably what God was waiting for -- total surrender and repentance -- and He led me to two important videos from Dr. David R. Reagan, about how the rebellious nation, America, was "begging for destruction".

Did he have any idea how prophetic his videos were?

And what did America have to do with me?

Nevertheless, those two powerful videos paved the way for my becoming born-again -- through GOD -- as if my soul knew it was "time", and no later. 

That also signaled the end of the odd jobs, here and there -- which I could do, and have done, anyway.

Now, I know there was a purpose to all that exhaustive exercise.

It was part of my essential "training".

No one cared if I didn't have the qualifications or education -- like photojournalism -- and everything else.

They just knew I was an eager character, with eyes and heart dancing, for something worthwhile to do.

One look at my eyes, and they knew I could do anything I set my mind to do.

So, an English editor coached me very briefly how to use a camera, and in that same afternoon, I was covering a USO ball, with hundreds of American servicemen at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

I don't know how I got another job earlier than that, with a German engineer, and his Filipino assistant.

I was draftswoman then, and was using the latest drawing table. You know how advanced Germans and Taiwanese are, and this was a semi-electronics firm at the Export Processing Zone Authority in Baguio City where I lived.

I left after a couple of weeks, as I preferred being in the "assembly" area with everyone else, but thing is, I chatted too much, and that was a no-no.

I loved asking how people were.

I preferred being with them, than being shut up in a tiny office with the German engineer and his Filipino assistant, with a cake the former brought, and forgot to share. He was too busy working, and so should I.

That very building -- among many others -- was destroyed completely during the infamous 16 July 1990 earthquake that hit Luzon, Philippines.

Again, God had planted me for a time, then "plucked" me out, before anything happened to his eager, and adventurous, daughter.

Apparently, He had many other plans for me, and that's a very long story, but since I'm a writer, I may just write about it sometime in the near future.

So, it's very true, I did wear many hats at work, and at home.

I was probably the strangest creature of all.

And no one even knew the particularly strange dreams and visions I was having since 1997, when I folded up all my shops in the big city, got a tiny row house in one of the nearby provinces, and sort of turned my back on the world.

I needed to heal away from the world, for even as my businesses were going strong, I was dying inside.

To this day, I'm still suffering financially from that "stepping back", as if the world was punishing me for doing so.

And now, after having written 22 books on spiritual warfare, and creating my young SCRIBU, the 26-year-old character who lived those decades-old dreams and visions I had, every piece of the puzzle began to finally fit.

How long I waited for it to become so!

But I always kept the faith that there was a purpose to my wearing so many hats, and learning so many things, and of course, God had always known that.

If you're wondering why your life is weird, why the world is weird, now I've come to know.

The Holy Spirit finally touched my tiny hat, and I was moved to do many new things in the service of the LORD.

John 14:26 
King James Version
"But the Comforter, 
which is the Holy Ghost, 
whom the Father will send in my name, 
he shall teach you all things, 
and bring all things to your remembrance, 
whatsoever I have said unto you."


As mentioned earlier, that event occurred a day before my birthday, November of last year, so you can say, it was with my invitation that I got my life straightened out, once and for all.

God knew the time was ripe, and I was ready for His instructions.

Well, the "instruction" was to write, and write, and write.

I did feel, ages ago, that there were many books in my heart.

GOD held the key, and He finally "unlocked" it from my being. 

As I quietly wrote those 22 books, in a span of 36 days, all through November, Christmas, and close to New Year of 2020, little did I know that what I dreamt once before, so many years ago, about three, worried molecular biologists, was actually already happening in China, and other parts of the world.

I've had so many crazy dreams and visions, the likes of which were similar to zombie films now. Is it a wonder I don't watch such movies, at all?

It was dark, and full of hidden meanings.

Soon as I started having those heavy dreams, I got myself a Carl Jung-inspired book on dream symbology, and began to understand the meaning of my dreams.

Again, God let me learn and experiment differently, as I even began selling books on esoteric subjects like alternative health, living, and thinking, at the big city's organic market, where I had a long table to display all those books and artifacts.

I love books and art, so things came naturally for me.

Of course, all those books were set aside completely, when GOD made me born-again, and I understood these were not of Christ.

What a humbling discovery!

Jesus knew I longed to sit at His feet and learn EVERYTHING from Him.

When GOD made me born again, JESUS took charge of my education, and re-education.

I sense it was all part of that education, the stumbling, the failing, the falling, and being in that posh and corporate world, which I'm now writing about through those 22 books.

Testing the waters of my first love -- which was writing -- I joined a number of literary contests in December 2019, and was informed two of my works (amazingly, I forgot the bodies of work, as I was just writing, and writing, night and day, as the Spirit prompted me) may just be included in anthologies, and who knows if they may even win a prize?

My father, a brilliant surgeon and physician, dissuaded me from taking up Journalism, as he said there was no money in it.

He said I would break my back writing, so "commanded" I take up Architecture instead, as I loved to draw and paint as a child.

How about Archaeology?
Nope.

How about Sociology?
Nope.

How about Commerce?
Nope.

Surely, that was also part of God's plan, that I be asked to do something else that was not in my heart.

I can only imagine, it's probably to test how much I loved writing.

Folks, I can't not love writing.

I joked I had an Underwood typewriter when I was in my Mama's womb, and was typing away, night and day, with my mom hushing me every so often, as people needed to sleep.

I loved writing essays in High School, and I only needed to be given a word, just one word, and I'd be off writing.

My heart invented the word "keyword", before SEO folks used it in this digital age.

My heart was already churning much, even then.

But I had my limits.

To this day, given many opportunities to embrace Shakespeare, I have not, and I apologize.

My English teacher in High School would often look questioningly in my direction, to please "de-code" the Bard's words.

I was as clueless as my un-interested classmates.

Much later on, a mother asked I coach her "autistic" son about Shakespeare, but I had to leave for the U.S., and that saved me from having to do that, even as I bought a book on him, giving myself a chance to understand his Old English language.

As you can imagine, that book remained unopened throughout my trip.

Little did I know, I was to focus on the King James Version of the Bible, also Old English.

Ah, but that, my heart loved!

I only use the KJV for my Bible readings now.

As you can see, I can go on and on about those many hats I wore, the rich, varied experiences of my life and work, but like I said, it may end up in a book.

I write fast, and furiously.

I can't not be that way.

One word from SPIRIT, and I'm off!

All because it's from the WORD of God -- Jesus.

Now, no other words matter but His Word.

Perhaps, this was what JESUS was waiting for me to see, before my writing finally blossomed.

I needed the Living Water so I can blossom as a writer.

Such a beautiful thought!

I didn't even know I was going to write this piece, until I got up, and just did it.

I thank GOD for opening the doors to my heart, and finally allowing my writing to shine, and most importantly, for His service.

I am completely, and fully, in JESUS' service.

If you wish to see my 22 books (actually, 26) on Amazon, here's the link!

Thank you for being with me, and bearing with me.

GOD bless your kind heart!


Updated 6 February 2024